Having just missed one hundred books in the first year of The Book Challenge, in 2010, I made the full tonne. Still reading, but without the challenge, take a look at the reviews for the books that I have read this year.

Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Book 23 - Seussical

Book - Seussical
Authors - Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty
Year - 2000
Genre - Musical
Pages - 121

Crazy for You is in the bag now, and my theatre group, DAODS, is now moving straight on to its next musical.  And we have picked a very fun show.  As you may or may not guess from the name, Seussical is a musical based on the works of the American children's author, Dr Seuss.  All of the favourites are there - The Cat in the Hat, Horton and the Whos, The Grinch - and the plot is an elaborate weaving of around seventeen of his books.

The whole thing is quite mesmerising.  Written in verse, the story is odd and strange, and geared towards children, but with a fun script that would keep adults thoroughly entertained.  I realise that it sounds a little like I am simply shilling for my group now, but reading through the book for the show gives you a real buzz, and the scope for which it can work on stage is immense.

Coupled with the soundtrack - an essential second string when reading over any musical - Ahrens and Flaherty have recreated the worlds of Dr Seuss wonderfully.  You get the feeling that if the books were sung, then this would have been exactly what Seuss had in mind.  I am sure that I will start plugging the show nearer the time, but for now, it is worth saying that I am massively looking forward to getting this production under way.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment